We need a design engineer to join us working on our cutting edge technology projects in the marine industry, who will work closely with the Lead Design Engineer and colleagues within the Swathe group of companies which includes Unmanned Survey Solutions (USS). We are based in modern offices with a workshop on the Marine Renewables Park in Hayle.
Reporting to the Lead Design Engineer, and working closely with the wider USS team, the successful candidate will assist with the design, manufacture and deployment of a range of innovative unmanned surface vessels and associated systems.
We have several projects underway as well as others in the planning stages, so we’re looking for someone who will support us with design and development from conceptual layout, the development of prototypes and experimental systems through to completion of the projects.
Our ideal candidate will have a design engineering background and an interest in remote operation systems, electronics and the sea.
Working hours are usually 9-5 Monday to Friday, however, due to the nature of the business, there may be times that weekend work and out of hours would be required.
Day to day the successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Designing USV’s and associated subsystems
- Producing designs and documentation for USV parts and assemblies using 3D CAD modelling and 2D manufacturing drawings
- Management of manufacturing sub-contractors to produce USV’s and related parts including quotations, detailed specifications and quality control
- Specifying of components and systems for USV’s
You will be required to support the company by:
- Assisting in the production of the USV’s including electrical and mechanical assembly when necessary
- Creation of production and regulation compliance documentation USV’s
- Assist in the setup and testing of USV’s including software and hardware set up in the workshop and at sea.
- Assist in the maintenance and field operations of USV’s
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment
- Monitoring customer feedback to ensure customer satisfaction, taking that information to consistently look at ways of improving our products and services
- Candidates should have a Degree/HNC or HND in an Engineering oriented subject or similar.
- Proven competency in parametric solid modelling, surface modelling and the production of fully design detailed drawings using Autodesk Fusion 360, Autodesk Inventor, Solidworks or similar.
- A passion for technology
- A keen eye for detail and to be highly dexterous as some fine assembly work is required
- The ability to produce and manufacture on a small scale for R&D projects
- Knowledge of electronics is useful
- A team player
- The ability to work flexibly to accommodate the varied nature of the job
Although specific training is provided, you will have a knowledge base that will allow you to carry out the responsibilities that come with the role confidently. Our ideal candidate will be looking for a career as part of a small friendly team who will be confident dealing with our customers, offer excellent customer service and have an interest in the operation of drones or remotely operated vehicles.
You will work closely with all the team, but specifically with our Lead Design Engineer and will be supported by a full-time technician.
We are looking for someone who can offer a degree of flexibility you may be required to work offsite as well as in our workshop in Hayle. Occasionally we all work out of hours, although these times will be kept to a minimum and will attract and enhanced pay rate. We are a small friendly, adaptable team and we offer, modern offices, free onsite parking, challenges and rewards.